Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Foreclosure Leaves Behind


The Innocent Victims of Foreclosure

It was late and I was tired. A long day already but we still had an hour or more of good daylight to work with when my associate and I drove up the driveway of the single family home in suburban Palm Beach County. A modest 4 bedroom home situated on an enviable sized lot seemed vacant. We were sent to assure that it had been vacated in order for the lender to place yet another REO property on the market.
As quickly as my associate began to open the car door she immediately slammed it back shut exclaiming, "Oh my goodness, look at the size of that dog, I'm not going in there!" Sure enough there was a female Rotti about 130 lbs. standing outside the car looking very protective and fearless. "What are we going to do now?" they asked. I try to keep doggie treats in the car for less threatening occasions and I hoped that I'd remembered to replenish the ziplock baggy. Luckily I had some Scooby Do's. I opened my window, throwing one in front of the car. The Rotti immediately went for it but didn't eat it. She quickly returned to sit now outside the drivers side door........ That would be my door!
Having had a female Rotti of my own I knew a little about the breed. I knew that the female, although smaller is an outstanding watchdog. They are protective of home and family and they can be ferocious or pussycats. I decided I'd ease the window down and see if she would take a treat. As gentle as a pup she took it from me. I knew we were in.
As we exited the car we could tell that the place was abandoned. The front door was open and it became obvious that the family had recently made a hasty retreat. Clothing and toys were strewn about the family room. Threatening notices were piled on the kitchen counter and the dogs bowl was left with food in it, although it seemed untouched. We made our way through the rest of the house and eventually out to the yard. In the center was a childrens playset with a slide 2 swings and a sandbox. Alongside it was a trampoline. An above ground pool was beginning to show signs of neglect with the water turning green and a few dead frogs in the bottom. We went into the covered screened patio where the door had been tied open and found the Rotti's bed. A full sized doggie bed surrounded with toys and family clothing. The Rott went to the bed, lied on it and whimpered.
Our job for tonight was finished. We could come back to secure the place the next day. Hopefully the family will come back for the Rott. If not we would need to figure out how to help her now that it was too late to help her family. She followed us to the car and as we opened the doors she gave us a hearty Rotti bark and ran back behind the house.
The next day she greeted us in the driveway with tail wagging and tongue hanging. She had eaten and seemed happy to see us. Today we had to secure the house so that the lender could begin making it marketable. What were we going to do about our new freind. We decided to canvas the neighbors. We found out that the dog's family was living in the neighborhood with friends and we went to visit.
Mom was home with her kids and the neighbors kids. Dad was at work. She explained that they coudn't take Lucy ( the Rotti )with them and that they were moving out of state to live with relatives until they get back on thier feet.
Her little boy looked up at me and asked "is Lucy going to go to the dog pound?" He told me "I visit her, but Mom and Dad told him not to. I miss Lucy." he said.
We turned to his Mom and asked if it would be OK for him to go back to the house with us and if she would come along. "It would be too hard for me. We raised our kids there. We have lots of memories. I can't, but he only seems to worry about Lucy. He can go with you" she said.
After we went to the nearest store for some baby shampoo and treats all three of us went back to the house. The boy helped us give Lucy the Rotti a bath. They played in the yard as if nothing else mattered. When we were finished securing the place it was again time to leave. Lucy walked us to the driveway barked and ran behind the house. I asked the little boy if he would mind if I took Lucy and found her a home so that she wouldn't go to the dog pound. He asked "will I see her again?"
I brought her back everyday to play with the boy until he left with his family to try and start over. We took Lucy and found her a great home with true Rotti lovers. I miss Lucy too.
For more on avoiding foreclosures please visit my compay website at www.ges-realty.com

No comments: