Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Handle With Care !

 

Working retail for the past 7+ years has of course allowed me to meet lots of different people from very diffrerent backgrounds, different shopping preferences, and various outlooks on any given state of affairs. We of course do our best, whenever possible, to provide an enjoyable experience for every customer we meet. Ocassionally we meet people who unknowingly make our day pleasant and even exceptional just by being who they are. I recently had one of these experiences and it has been a daily reminder of how good people can make us better. 

Our store is located in a mall and on Saturday afternoon we have a fairly high volume of teens and pre-teens in the mall and subsequently visiting our store. On this particular Saturday afternoon two young ladies (pre-teen definitly) I would guess 11 year olds approached me with a product that they purchased earlier and asked if they were allowed to return it. "I bought it for my brother but my Mom said that he has one" she explained. I said of course you can and I noticed that they were both wearing a mask for Covid protection. I thanked them for being so polite and for wearing the mask. These girls went on to explain that they only go out together with 2 or 3 of their freinds, classmates and always wear a mask whenever they do.  They said that they take turns shopping for each other by using thier phones to show pictures and then using Venmo or Zelle to pay each other as they shopped. They told me that it's much more important to stay safely apart even though we miss hanging out together. I asked what they did when they got hungry while they were shopping. They replied that they asked their Moms to pack some snacks and that they would sit in uncrowded area (definetly not a food court) to eat. Our Moms take turns picking us up and driving us home when we finish shopping. 

          I was so taken and impressed with these young ladies. I thanked them again for being so dilligent           and careful during this difficult time for us all. I told them that by taking those pre cautions they             were not only protecting themselves but they were protecting each other and everyone that they             meet, like me! One of the girls got very excited and said to her freind "Oh that's something that               we can tell our teacher and maybe we can share it with the Class!"

These kids and so many like them are smart, careing, adaptable and our future.

         Handle with kid gloves please.



 

No comments: